Cru’s vision is for “Movements everywhere so that everyone knows someone who truly follows Jesus.” Read on for some simple steps you can take this week to mobilize others to this worthy mission.
I was recently given a reading assignment for an input group I’m in. It was the summary of a Senior Leadership Initiative action learning project on sending and recruiting. Team members, Dan Allan, Lucas Lopez, Dan Miller, Chris Millheisler, and Emma Tautolo looked at our current sending and recruiting efforts, compared it to what our organization has always believed we were called to, and made some recommendations.
I was struck by their call for Cru to “give greater focus to the opportunity to mobilize others (outside of Cru) to reach beyond its current capacity. In order to do this, Cru needs to shift from an organization that primarily does ministry to an organization that primarily mobilizes others for ministry.”
The team pointed out that “Since 1951, the purpose of Cru (as stated on the official website http://www.cru.org) is: “Helping to fulfill the Great Commission in the power of the Holy Spirit by winning people to faith in Jesus Christ, building them in their faith and sending them to win and build others; and helping the Body of Christ do evangelism and discipleship.”
You are participating in very significant efforts to reach middle and high schools and college campuses in the US and globally. But we also know that the task is much bigger and that there are many outside our organization willing to participate if given the opportunity.
My friend, Barry Bowling, and his wife, Laurie, Cru’s high school and junior high team leaders in Houston, recently told me about a pastor and his wife that he met in southeast Houston. He wants to launch Cru in two high schools, a junior high, and a local community college. He wants to do this for us!
If Barry was thinking about this in a traditional way with a team of staff and interns, he would not have driven way across Houston to have that conversation. He just doesn’t have the capacity. Instead, he was thinking about how to connect him with a coach who would help him start movements in those schools.
Now here is something you can do this week:
- Ask your students if they know someone on another campus that does not have Cru but wishes there was. Then send the name of your student and campus, and their friend’s name, campus, and cell phone to Pat.Senkbeil@cru.org. Launch specialists are standing by!
- You can even refine the ask to include whether their friend has a heart to reach International Students. Cru has a Bridges coaching team that can connect with them.
- Or you can ask if they know someone interested in starting a contextualized movement. I know two Destino coaches who would love to know the names of students interested in starting Destino.
In August, Jessica contacted Cru for help with her ministry on a campus in Montana. She had been Navigator staff in Maine, moved to Montana, and began volunteering with Young Life. When they pulled their staff, she was left in charge of their ministry. But with a growing family, and knowing she knowing she needed students to lead, she asked us for some coaching help.
You might be encouraged to know that Cru has several ways that we are “helping the Body of Christ do evangelism and discipleship”. Here are three.
- We are partnering with the Pulse Movement’s Together 2018 in Dallas, October 20, 21. We will be looking to involve and equip many as we can to go back to their campus and seek to make a difference for Christ.
- Cru and Intervarsity have teamed up on an EveryCampus project in which we are mobilizing others to prayer walk every campus where neither of us has a ministry by the end of 2019. Plus, we each are making available the best of our resources to anyone who would want to begin a movement on their campus.
- Cru’s Global Launch Week, November 5-9, will be a tremendous opportunity to prayer walk and look for Key Volunteers on hundreds of campuses worldwide. God will very likely connect us with perhaps thousands of others with a heart to reach their campus. Why not begin making plans now for your students to prayer walk a nearby campus during that week. You will be hearing more.
Sending and recruiting begins now!