With the semester well under way, we are generally into our routines and our schedules firmed up. You probably feel like there is a lot going on. So what happens when a new possibility for ministry opens up? Do we have room? Do we have capacity to say “Yes.” to such opportunities?
A few weeks ago, I was listening to all the things that Brad Daubenspeck, Student Venture Launch Specialist, MidAtlantic Region, had going on. It was quite exciting, actually. Brad directs efforts on some high school campuses in Southeastern PA. But right then, he was looking at new launch possibilities in Western PA. Plus he connects with other Cru staff and was following up students from the MidAtlantic Christmas conference interested in starting Student Venture ministries.
Brad has a lot going on. However, as I got to thinking about it, all of us have a lot going on. That’s pretty normal for us. As I was reading in 2 Corinthians recently, I was challenged by some verses.
- 4:6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness, made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.”
- 4:7 we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God.
- 4:11 so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body.
- 4:15 All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.
- And then finally, 6:1, As God’s fellow workers…(NIV) or, in the NASB, “And working together with Him…“
So how do we put ourselves in the best possible place so that God can use us greatly? So that we are working together with Him? It has been said, the greater your leadership reach, the more you need to plan. Here are a few things to keep in mind when you plan.
- “Winging it” is no longer an option.
- Take notes on each conversation.
- Review your notes prior to your next conversation.
- Determine focus or main topics.
- Determine assignments and criteria.
- Consider available resources.
- Identify prayer requests.
- What do you need to do before next time?
- Overcome hurdles.
That God wants to work in and through us is an awesome thing. Let us pray that God will keep opening up doors for effective ministry and that we will be willing and able to walk through them.