Today is the first day of Advent, that wonderful time in the church calendar for preparing for the celebration of Christ’s birth.
Galatians 4:4 says, “But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son…” NIV. God orchestrated events over hundreds of years so that when Christ entered the world, the good news could be carried everywhere.
In the same way that God prepared the world, let us intentionally prepare our hearts, and help those we work with, to celebrate.
This time of year can be so busy with ending a semester of ministry, preparing for Christmas/Winter conferences, and thinking about the spring and summer ministry opportunities. Students are preparing for finals. And we have our own checklist of Christmas preparations, parties, gift buying, decorating, etc.
Setting aside time for Advent readings and reflections helps to prepare our hearts for celebrating His coming, even in the midst of checking off our to do’s. A Google search for “Advent Devotion” reveal many options. Here are a few.
- BibleGateway.com offers several devotionals and newsletters with a variety of start dates. Some are in Spanish. You must sign up.
- D365 Daily Online Devotions repeats the popular “Following the Star” series. No sign up required. Be sure to click through each section of the devotion.
- You can see all of John Piper’s advent topics here.
- Many churches offer their own advent guides. My church offers one centered around lighting weekly Advent candles.
What a wonderful time of the year for sharing our faith. Here are some ideas for Christmas outreaches.
May we all find our hearts and minds stirred by the mystery of the Creator becoming a baby.
Fall 2016 Coaching Tips
- “Act as if it were true”.
- Beginning the Campus Year Checklist.
- Ways a coach helps.
- Engaging South Asian Students.
- Did you know…?
- Using Summer Connect Content this Fall.
- Destino Connecting Culture and the Gospel.
- I’m listening to you.
- Movement Leadership Forms.
- Outreach in real and virtual contexts.
- Ministry beyond ministry.
- Launch and Build Bridges Movements.
- Future Teachers Living Missionally.
- A Destino Multiple Movements Case Study.
- Freshman Takeover Night.
- Some ways to build student leadership.